POSITION: Executive Assistant to CEO & COO
LOCATION: Clinton, WA (Whidbey Island)
African Entrepreneur Collective (AEC) runs business accelerators and loan funds across Africa with the goal to build the capacity of young entrepreneurs to create jobs in their communities. AEC is a US-based non-profit organization, and currently has operations in Rwanda and Tanzania. Our African offices work with entrepreneurs in a range of industries and locations, including urban, rural, and even refugee camps. We are a values-driven organization with a passionate belief that young Africans will change their communities for the better, and our goal is to bring the tools and resources needed to help these entrepreneurs thrive. As a nonprofit, AEC has a board of directors and donors across the US who support our vision and activities.
THE OPPORTUNITY & RESPONSIBILITIES
AEC’s CEO & COO have recently re-located to Whidbey Island, and seek a full-time staff who will provide excellent administrative, fundraising, communications, and executive-level support. While have more than 40 staff in East Africa, and a budget of approximately $2M USD, we are just now setting up operations in the US, and you will be our third US employee. There’s nowhere to go but up.
AEC seeks a warm, open, skilled, smart candidate who can accomplish the following in pursuit of AEC’s mission:
EXECUTIVE SUPPORT (40% time)
- Manage C-level schedule, setting up meetings across multiple time zones
- Support C-level travel, managing logistics and arrangements within budget
- Support Executive correspondence, including drafting emails/letters to funders, donors, partner
- Preparing Executive Director presentations and managing meeting logistics
- Other duties as assigned to help the Executive staff as their roles and positions grow
FUNDRAISING & COMMUNICATIONS (20% time)
- Write and file all donor thank you letters for tax purposes, maintain electronic and paper files
- Assist with event planning, invitations, guest lists, logistics, caterers, auctions, etc
- Coordinate any mass mailings for fundraising
- Keep up to date with external relevant events and conference calendar
- Maintain AEC’s website, send quarterly electronic newsletters, and produce entrepreneur profiles in partnership with AEC’s Communications Manager
BOARD SUPPORT (15% time)
- Prepare board packets, including financial data, powerpoints, impact data, etc
- Schedule Board meetings, committee meetings, and provide ongoing support to board members
ADMIN & FINANCE (25% time)
- Manage AEC office (and right now that means setting up the office, furniture, etc), and provide on-going office management, stocking the office, receptionist services, create a clean and welcoming environment for staff and guests
- Maintain appropriate accounting for expenses, working within a budget, and comply with other basic administrative functions.
- Manage all incoming AEC mail
- AEC banking and coordinating with accountant on tracking income and expenses
We are looking for individuals who can bring lasting impact to our work. We are seeking candidates who will navigate fast-paced and resource-constrained environments with enthusiasm, patience, a sense of humor, and imagination. Starting qualifications include:
- Self-starter, with proven ability to produce results with light supervision
- Proven track record of leadership, planning and management responsibilities
- Strong writing skills, including the ability to succinctly and accurately communicate to a variety of audiences
- Willing to work flexible hours to reach staff in East African time zones (9-11 hrs ahead of Seattle); working remotely can be negotiated
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple deadlines
- Ability to work with high-profile individuals by demonstrating high levels of discretion, professionalism, and responsiveness
- Candidates must possess excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft office, and Salesforce preferred
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift at least 40 pounds
- Undergraduate degree in nonprofit management, international development, finance, communications, or related field preferred
All of our staff embody our organizational culture, and the successful candidate will also:
- Communicate effectively locally and internationally
- Maintains local and international performance standards
- Effectively support each team member and inspire each other to do better
- Be collaborative and solicitous of others' opinions
- Be a leader in the local entrepreneurial community
- Be kind, compassionate, empathetic, and fun
- Find freedom within a framework
- Commit to our vision and values
- Be willing to put in the time it takes to do a great job
- Be solutions-oriented and creative
- Be committed to continuously learning and growing
Please send your resume and cover letter (including salary expectations) to Sara Leedom at email@example.com. with “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. Feel free to let your personality shine in your cover letter. We will be a small office together, so let’s make sure there’s a strong fit in both skills and culture.
Applications are open until 25 October 2017.
Compensation includes salary, health benefits, the opportunity to work in a small women-led business with a global social mission, flexible hours, ability to work remotely, and an annual trip to one of AEC’s offices in East Africa.
AEC seeks to reflect the communities we serve, and is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBT, refugees and immigrants are strongly encouraged to apply.